Thursday, January 28, 2010

Second Language Learners Stay Away!

http://eslbears.homestead.com/Contact_Info.html

In terms of "deep processing" i'm not sure anything on this website is helpful at all. These games look like they were probably created as a class assignment rather than in the interest of writing a useful tool for esl instruction. The first set of exercises is not so much a lesson as teaching by association/elimination. The "hangman" feature could be useful but not any more so than the original game. There is a series of homonym/synonym games and cloze exercises that strike me as being really trite and outdated. They are the equivalent of online flashcards.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jessie, Anything that helps me avoid wasting time is a huge plus in my book. Keep up the great bloggin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really care for the Hangman games either, but I think that the Speedwords games would be useful for independent (or paired) practice. I can see my students enjoying those ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think even though certain aspects of the website are outdated, teachers could use some of the tools for practice in class or suggest the website for further practice from home. Some of the games such as the hangman and the crosswords could be a fun way for output production. The speedwords would be a good choice also, however some students may feel discouraged or pressure because of the issue of time constraint.

    ReplyDelete